New York Summer Dance Intensive
Now accepting applications for the summer of 2013!
Summer 2013 Program Dates:
June 24 - July 20
Performances July 19 - 20
NYSDI offers dancers the opportunity to study and perform at Dance New Amsterdam, one of New York City’s largest and most highly respected dance schools, known for its emphasis on injury-prevention in a supportive, yet challenging, environment. Each year, the Intensive’s faculty is selected for their excellence as dancers and their integrity as teachers.
Since its inception, the New York Summer Dance Intensive has grown in popularity and acclaim with participating students from all over the world. The 2012 Summer Intensive will have openings for 36 students at the Intermediate/ Advanced level. Workshop participants will be selected by audition to work with one choreographer on a piece of original work to be performed at the end of the Intensive. Each dancer will also be encouraged to create his or her own ideal program throughout the Intensive according to individual need, training and abilities.
The New York Summer Dance Intensive provides daily master classes exclusively for all intensive students. These master classes are taught by DNA’s Intensive faculty as well as guest teachers. In addition students can take an unlimited number of classes offered from DNA’s daily class schedule. A detailed schedule will be provided to accepted applicants prior to the start of the intensive.
Lindsey Dietz Marchant
- Daily modern and contemporary technique training and specialized classes with the Intensive’s faculty and guests, reserved just for NYSDI participants (a $330 value).
- The ability to create your own program through UNLIMITED daily technique classes in ballet, modern, Simonson Technique (modern/jazz), hip hop, Pilates, yoga, GYROKINESIS®, Thai Massage and more (a $920 value).
- The opportunity to perform the work of established dance-makers in the field in a professionally-produced concert in DNA’s 130-seat theater.
- A one-year membership to DNA, a $45 value. This membership will entitle NYSDI students $1 off on regularly priced classes, exclusive offers on class cards and FREE Class Friday for an entire year after NYSDI is complete. The membership will also provide discounts on workshops and certification courses, as well as on performance tickets to DNA PRESENTS. For more information on membership benefits click here.
Hannah Seidel, Education Programs Coordinator
212.625.8369 ext. 206
Program Fees *Subject to change
$50 Application fee due with application to program
$1270, includes 10% non-refundable deposit due within one week of acceptance
**Payment plans available upon request**
A deposit of 10% of the program fee is required within one week of acceptance to secure your spot in the program and cover administrative costs. This deposit is non-refundable.
The full program fee is due one month prior to beginning the program, unless a payment plan has been arranged and signed with the Education Programs Coordinator. If a payment plan has been arranged, payment is due on the dates specified in the plan; should a payment be missed, the amount due will be charged to the participant’s credit card.
The deadline for cancellation is one month prior to the beginning of the program. Before this deadline, refunds will be granted minus the 10% deposit covering administrative costs. If participation is canceled after this deadline, the full fee will be due. If participation is canceled after the deadline and the participant is on a payment plan, the full fee will be due according to the dates established in the plan.
Deadline for 2013 applications: May 28, 2013.
Please note: To apply for the New York Summer Dance Intensive, students must be 18 years of age.
1. Download the 2013 application form and complete.
2. Schedule an audition class at Dance New Amsterdam from our open class schedule. Please make an appointment by contacting Hannah Seidel at 212.625.8369 x206 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Auditions will not be accepted without an appointment.
3. Once an audition class has been scheduled, bring the application form to the teacher prior to class.
4. Students will be notified of acceptance in 2-3 weeks of applying.
Dance New Amsterdam has no full scholarships available for NYSDI, however we do offer up to three partial work-study scholarships to qualifying students to help defray the cost of the program. These scholarships recipients are determined based on a combination of financial need and artistic merit.
Scholarship recipients will be awarded a maximum of $280 to be subtracted from the program tuition cost. In exchange, recipients will undertake assigned work study projects for 8 hours per week, for a total of 32 hours over the course of the program. Should all work study hours not be completed, the prorated remaining tuition is due immediately.
To apply for a work-study scholarship, the Scholarship Application Form must be received by Hannah Seidel at email@example.com no later than April 30, 2013. Scholarship applicants’ auditions must also be completed by April 30. You will be notified of your award by May 10.
Video Application Guidelines
If you are unable to audition at DNA, you may audition via video. VHS or youtube/vimeo link submissions should be at least 5 minutes in length and should demonstrate the dancer’s use of proper alignment, technical ability and artistic expression. DVD is the preferred format for submissions. If you must use VHS, please make sure that your tape is in U.S. standard NTSC format. Students from countries that use PAL or SECAM formats must convert tapes before sending. Please test all materials before sending.Video must contain 3 sections:
1. Introduction: Close-up of dancer. Dancer should state his/her name and age.
2. Technique Section: Abbreviated ballet barre. Center work in modern technique.
3. Performance Section: May be a short solo work or a small group piece. If a group piece is submitted, recording must be of good quality and the applicant must be clearly identifiable.
Download and complete the 2013 application form, and mail with a videotape to:
Dance New Amsterdam
NY Summer Dance Intensive
New York, NY 10007
Summer Housing Information
DNA has a housing list available to help with your search for accommodations. We are also able to provide a list of sublets available by current students and faculty, contact us for further information.
Possible student housing option:
The de Hirsch Residence at the 92nd Street Y
Offering comfortable, safe, clean accommodations in a healthy, stimulating environment of international, national and local students, interns, young professionals located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan with single and shared double rooms, free Wi-Fi, free linen service, fully-equipped kitchens, large shared bathrooms.
University Place offers its residents a beautiful, well-decorated, boutique residence as appealing as a fine New York hotel. Conveniently located at 385 McDonald Avenue in the Kensington section of Brooklyn, our state-of-the-art student housing property is home to students from NYC and all across the globe. Just minutes from Manhattan and vibrant downtown Brooklyn. Click here for more information.
International House is the perfect place to meet your summer housing needs during your summer internship or studies. Offering a welcoming community of approximately 700 students and interns from around the globe and provide a wide variety of programs and activities. Facilities include a dining room, gymnasium, fitness center, computer lab, music practice rooms and study center. Click here for more information.
Past choreographers have included Alexandra Beller (AD: Alexandra Beller/Dances), Monica Bill Barnes (Monica Bill Barnes & Company), Kendra Portier (David Dorfman Dance), Ezra Caldwell (Former DNA faculty), Lindsey Dietz Marchant, Jeanine Durning (formerly of David Dorfman Dance), Ori Flomin (Assistant Choreographer of the Stephen Petronio Company), Jana Hicks, (former DNA Faculty), Diane McCarthy (DNA faculty), Te Perez (former DNA faculty), Oliver Steele (DNA faculty), Max Stone (DNA Faculty), Adele Myers (AD: Adele Myers and Dancers), Julie Bour (AD: The Flying Mammoth) and BJ Sullivan (Assistant Professor at the University of North Carolina, Greensboro).
Pages: 1 2