The mission of the Jim Garvey Scholarship Fund is to honor the memory of Jim Garvey, longtime administrative staff and friend of the DNA community, through funds donated by the Garvey Family and Friends of Jim Garvey.
Jim has been a cornerstone of the Dance Space Center/DNA community since 1985. A loyal, hardworking soul, and yet Jim was so much more to us. He was the heart of DSC/DNA. Jim propelled this institution with his humanity by helping to create a sense of home for all of us here at DNA. A warm smile, a person who cared to remember who you were and simply took the time to do his job to the very best of his ability with tremendous kindness and grace. Jim lived fully in each moment and Dance Space and DNA and all of our lives are so much richer because of his irreplaceable presence.
The Jim Garvey Scholarship will be awarded to dedicated students in the amount of $700 toward DNA classes, workshops or educational programs that will help them to achieve an outlined goal or project. The scholarship will support projects with a clear artistic statement and a commitment to the enrichment of the wider community as well as the individual artist.
• The Jim Garvey Scholarship is open to all DNA students, U.S. citizens and international students, who have been studying at DNA for at least 1 year.
• The $700 scholarship award may be used toward any classes, workshops or educational programs at DNA. This includes open classes, teaching certifications, the International Student Visa Program, the Choreographic Investigation Course, etc.
• Scholarship recipients will be chosen through an application and interview process, by a committee including representatives from DNA administrative staff and DNA faculty.
• One students will be selected per year, in the fall.
• Scholarship recipients will be assigned a mentor/advisor from the DNA faculty who will provide support and guidance over the course of the project.
• Scholarship award may be used anytime within one year of selection.
• Students may receive the scholarship a maximum of one time.
• Students in the International Student Visa Program who are currently in the workstudy scholarship program may not apply for the Jim Garvey Scholarship.
The next round of applications will be available in the fall.
For more information, contact Cassie Bednall at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212.625.8369 ext 208.
Contributions to the Jim Garvey Scholarship Fund are gladly accepted. To contribute, earmark a gift in any amount to Dance New Amsterdam (DNA), a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, with a memo specifying the “Jim Garvey Scholarship Fund”.